MAHATMA GANDHI CHITRAKOOT GRAMODAYA UNIVERSITY, CHITRAKOOT
Mahatma Gandhi Chitrakoot Gramodaya Vishwavidhyalaya was established by the Government of Madhya Pradesh through legislature by an Act (9, 1991) on February 12, 1991. The University is located on the bank of Holy River Mandakni near Sphatikshila at Chitrakoot.
The University is mandated to develop human resource for the economic and social development of rural people, and develops and disseminates rural technology. The University provide academic programmes up to doctoral level integrating all facets of rural development viz. science, environment, GIS and remote sensing, agriculture ,agricultural engineering, small and agribusiness, rural management, traditional medicines, humanities, social science, arts, yoga, education, journalism and mass education, computer, information technology etc. in regular and distance education mode . The National statuary educational bodies such as UGC, AICTE, NCTE, IGNOU, and NCDE have recognized the academic programmes of the university. Away from the noisy city life, Chitrakoot is religious and serene place with scenic beauties. The place is associated with Lord Ram who spent most of his 14 years time in exile at Chitrakoot.
The main mission of the university is to promote rural development, especially food, Habitat, health care, education, employment that may finally lead to good life. The major objectives are-
- To impart higher Education and establish centre for education, research, extension and training for empowerment of rural people for betterment of rural life
- To include education in a environment conservation, values and social responsibilities (Jeevanadarsh), community service (Shramdan and village camp), yoga, art and music through vocational exposure, folk art, print and electronic media
- To provide research opportunities for (i) development of improved technology package for promotion of agriculture, livestock, forest produce, herbal, medicinal and other natural resources; (ii) Diversification of agriculture and product development through processing and value addition; and (iii) promote traditional art, craft, and sustainable socio economics development
- To introduce new and alternatives products based on the availability of local raw materials for domestic and export market
- To undertake training and skill up gradation of farmers, artisans and small entrepreneurs in agri- business and cottage industries
- To coordinate with various national and international agencies for rural development work
- To establish rural development information data system; and provide consultancy in all aspects of rural development