barkatullah university, bhopal
The University formerly known as Bhopal University was established in 1970 in Bhopal, the capital city of Madhya Pradesh. In 1988, it was rechristened as Barkatullah Vishwavidyalaya, in the loving memory of the great freedom fighter, Prof. Barkatullah.
The University complex includes many buildings namely Administrative, Library, Life sciences, Law, Humanities, Social Science, Physics, Applied Geology, Institute of Open and Distance Education, Institute of Management, Yoga, Adult Education, Physical Education Aquaculture, Pharmacy, Barkatullah University Institute of Technology Hostels, Guest House, Post office, a branch of the State Bank of India, Printing press and staff quarters.
The territorial jurisdiction of the University extends to eight districts of Madhya Pradesh, i.e.Bhopal, Sehore, Vidisha, Raisen, Hoshangabad, Harda, Betul and Rajgrah. There are more than two hundred seventy Colleges affiliated to the University.
The University covers almost the whole spectrum of higher education, offering courses in its affiliated colleges and the teaching departments in the faculties of Arts, Social Science, Science, Life Science, Home Science, Commerce, Medicine, Law, Engineering, Education and Technical Education. The Chakravarty Rajagopalachari Institute of Management (CRIM) provides full-time course in Business Management and the Institute of Open and Distance Education, the only Institute of its kind in the State, provides undergraduate, Postgraduate and diploma courses through correspondence.
The University has established the following cells/units for specific activities in their respective fields:
- Employment Information And Guidance Bureau
- National Service Scheme (N S S)
- Office of the Dean Student's Welfare (D S W)
- Director College Development Council (DCDC)
- Social Center for the Welfare of Students
- Psychological Counseling Centre
- Transportation unit
- University Computer Centre
- University Library
- University Press
- University Science Instrumentation Centre (USIC)
- Centre for Buddhist Studies
- Women's Study Centre
- Rajeev Gandhi Chair
- Proctorial Board
- Minority Cell
- SC/ST Cell
The University conducts examination of about 1.50 lakh students of more than 270 Government and Private Colleges every year. Apart from annual examination, the University also conducts semester Examinations in its teaching departments. Results are prepared within the University premises in the Confidential Section.
Following are the Officers of the University:
- Chancellor (H.E. The Governor of the State)
- Deans of Faculties
- Director College Development Council
- Dean Student's Welfare
- Deputy Registrar
- Assistant Registrar
- Assistant Librarian
All the University activities are supervised by the following authorities:
- Executive Council
- Academic council
- Standing Committee of the Academic Council
- Finance Committee
- Academic Planning and Evaluation Board
- Board of Studies
- Research Degree Committees
- The University posses Cultural Hall, Guest house, One Girls hostel, three Boys hostel, 14 Teaching Department Buildings, One Play ground, One Gymnasium and One aqua farm.
- Residential Accommodation is available in the form of independent bungalows and flats.
- The campus is connected with newly developed roads and it has its own water supply line throughout the campus and recently boundary wall has been constructed.
- Extension of existing buildings of several departments, and new constructions are underway.