- Participated in the freedom struggle from 1941-46
- Awarded jail for 1 year in 1941
- Awarded jail for 3.5 years in 1942
- Member of Indian labourers delegation to ILO (Geneva) in 1957 and 1958
- All-India Trade Union Congress (Punjab HP, J & K) Secretary and President in 1959-61
- Member of Punjab Legislative Assembly and Minister of State for Labour and Cooperatives from 1962-66
- Chief Minister of Haryana in 1966-67
- Rajya Sabha member from 1968-74
- Appointed Orissa Governor in 1977
- Patron of many social and cultural institutions of Orissa
- Actively involved in administrative committee of Jagannath temple
- Transferred to Madhya Pradesh since Orissa climate didn't suit his health.
- For development of tourism in Orissa, he had suggested to the Government of Orissa for conversion of Puri Raj Bhavan to a Posh Hotel for international tourists with facilities for Golf, Swimming Pool, Tennis Court and big hall for holding conferences. Indian Tourist Development Corporation (ITDC) was then pursued to take up the venture.
- Special interest in welfare of people belonging to scheduled tribes, scheduled castes, and weaker sections.
A very good orator and chess enthusiast
- Traveled to Switzerland, U.K., USSR, Germany, USA, and some other European countries